Important Considerations When Designing a Customized Spring
In recent years, manufacturing processes and changes in end-use criteria have transformed spring-making by impacting the specification of these essential and widely used components, allowing for the production of the customized spring.
Different types of springs exist today, including wire springs that existed long before the Industrial Revolution. Some spring-makers have fine-tuned the manufacturing of springs – a well-established technology – for almost a century.
The springs used in food, medical, aerospace, and toy applications require unique load treatments and characteristics. This is why considering some key factors is essential when specifying spring designs.
The first of such considerations include matching the application to the basic spring configuration, of which there are several types. Several types of springs exist, though the most popular of these are:
- Compression springs
- Disc springs
- Extension springs
- Wave springs
- Torsion springs
Drawbar springs, swivel hook springs, conical springs, and battery springs are other configurations that still need to be discovered. The most recent additions to these are:
- Plastic composite springs
- Continuous-length extension springs
- Light-pressure springs
Why is Design So Important in Spring Manufacturing?
Design is highly crucial in the matter of spring manufacturing. Several elements must be considered, including more than a few measurements that must be spot on. For instance, the bespoke design of a spring must take factors such as load and movement as well as type into consideration, depending considerably on its application. Slight changes to these factors can significantly affect the overall performance of the spring.
For example, choosing a unique material for making a spring can readily change its capabilities, even if all dimensions remain constant, i.e., they have not been altered. However, if the outer diameter of the spring is modified, even if the changes are minimal, it will make a world of difference. In other words, spring measurements must be precise, or slight changes will alter the outcome of the design.
Considerations When Creating a Customized Spring
Before creating a customized spring, ensure that you weigh all the necessary considerations:
- The spring’s solid height is also referred to as ‘maximum solid.’ It is the height of the spring when all the coils are in contact with one another, and no additional load can be applied to the spring.
- The free length of the spring: This refers to the overall length of the spring when zero loads or force is applied to it.
- The travel and load
- The tension of the spring
- The number of coils: The number of coils is determined by the specific application of the spring.
- How much force the spring can easily withstand is determined by the type of wire used in making it. The type of wire used will be determined by the numerous environmental factors the spring will function in.
- The coil diameter and wire diameter of the spring significantly determine the spring constant, which is a crucial metric when designing customized springs.
- The spring ends: This involves choosing between closed and open ends.
- Wind direction will determine whether you need right- or left-hand springs.
- Wire shape: You are at liberty to choose between rectangular or round.
Plan Your Customized Spring Early
In addition to these factors, it is vital to consider spring design long before finishing every other component of the final product. When you get down to it, a few springs will be incapable of performing exactly how you want them to or will be unsafe if their design is not considered.
Therefore, spring design must be a carefully thought-out process that will result in viable spring production with the following benefits:
- The spring must be of the highest quality possible since the entire manufacturing process, and spring materials have been carefully selected with great care.
- They must have an incredibly long lifespan, especially since material considerations and the environment within which the spring will function optimally have also been taken into account.
- They must be highly compatible with the product in which they will be integrated, placed, or installed since every dimension has been carefully measured with 100 percent precision and well accounted for.
You will need another batch of customized springs, increasing your expenses. An unsuitable spring will force you to go beyond your budget since it won’t be 100 percent reliable. This could severely delay the launch or creation of your product, especially if the product has to be redone.
When you have the correct or ideal customized spring design from the outset, you will have an excellent batch of springs with the correct dimensions. The customized springs will be functional for your product, and there will be no need to repeat orders or fix anything. You should always pay attention to these vital considerations or factors.
The Difference Between Customized Springs and Stock Springs
Let’s look at the primary differences between stock and customized springs.
Customized springs are perfect for going into the production of spring-operated applications or devices. In addition, the price or cost of large production quantities of this type of spring is much lower than they are for stock springs (discussed below).
Moreover, you will get precise dimensions when you order your customized springs. But stock springs will only be approximate or similar.
On the other hand, stock springs benefit those in the prototyping phase of a particular design or require a few replacements. In addition, they are excellent economical options if you only need a small quantity.
It is always cost-effective to purchase several different parts of stock springs. This allows you to calculate and efficiently figure out precisely what you need.
Spring design is not a walk in the park, as manufacturers must consider several factors to create a high-quality product. Creating customized springs will only be possible if you consider all the above factors.
This is why it is highly recommended that you work with reliable or certified professionals who know of spring design. These professionals take all the necessary factors seriously to create a customized spring that is perfect for your unique applications.
Peripheral Valve Internals
Complete Valve Repair Kits
P.E.T. Compressor Parts